Monday, March 21, 2011

usufruct

usufruct

PRONUNCIATION:
(YOO-zuh-fruhkt, -suh-) 

MEANING:
noun: The right to use and enjoy another's property without destroying it. 

ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin ususfructus, from usus et fructus (use and enjoyment). Earliest documented use: 1646. 

USAGE:
"It is currently in the process of purchasing perpetual usufruct rights to a number of plots."
Budlex Prepares for Large Residential Project; Warsaw Business Journal (Poland); Jan 17, 2011. 

Explore "usufruct" in the Visual Thesaurus. 

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
When I go into the garden with a spade, and dig a bed, I feel such an exhilaration and health that I discover that I have been defrauding myself all this time in letting others do for me what I should have done with my own hands. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)